Bakewell Junior Lawn Tennis Open Resaul takes Boys’ U-18 title

first_img… Kalekyezi cops the U-14FOURTEEN-year-old Heimraj Resaul pulled off a significant win against 15-year-old Mark McDonald to grab his first Boys’ Under-18 title of the Bakewell Junior Open, currently underway at the GBTI lawn tennis courts.Last year it was McDonald who took the U-18 title after losing to Resaul in the U-14 division but this time the tables were turned.Wednesday’s match started with both players playing safe tennis to the detriment of holding up their service games until Resaul held for the first time at 3-2 to go up 4-2.At this time McDonald also held his serve and broke Resaul to even the set at 4. However, McDonald still played defensively and Resaul broke to go up 5-4 and then held serve to take the set at 6-4.In the second set, McDonald seemed revitalised and anxious to turn the tide and he demonstrated this by holding his first service game to go up 1-0.Resaul also upped his tempo and both players held serve until McDonald raced away to a 4-1 lead. Resaul then won 3 straight games to even at 4, with some great passing shots as McDonald became overconfident, frequently approaching the net.McDonald then regrouped and both players again held their service games to take it to 6-6 and force the third set super tie-breaker. At the start of the third set on Thursday, both players showed a high level of confidence and the standard of play dictated trading points neck and neck until Resaul edged to 7-6 with a lot of fist pumps.This clearly threw off McDonald who once again slipped into defensive mode and gave Resaul the next three points to prevail 6-4, 6-7(7-2), 10-6.In the Boys’ Under-14, the Ugandan Joshua Kalekyezi was visibly elated as he defeated Viraj Sharma 5-3, 4-2 to take the coveted title. Both players had tough semi-finals but it was clear that Kalekyezi’s defeat of former champion Jordan Beaton in the semis boosted his confidence enough to hold off Sharma, who too has shown tremendous improvement in techniques over the last year.The Boys’ Under-12 final between Jeremiah Kalekyezi and Vadeanand Resaul is scheduled for today at noon.last_img read more

Jones announces departure from Syracuse, aims to play professionally

first_imgMookie Jones announced in a statement through his agent, Zachary Charles, that he is finished playing basketball in Syracuse.“As most of you already heard, I am not coming back to Syracuse for my final season,” Jones said in the statement.The university suspended Jones for one year after an SU student accused him of cyberbullying last fall. The suspension affected his eligibility as an athlete as this season would have been his last due to NCAA rules, which require athletes to complete their careers in five calendar years.Due to the suspension, he would not have been able to return to school until January. After missing a year of classes, he would not have been eligible to join the team as athletes must maintain progress toward their degree to remain eligible in sports.Jones decided to leave SU and sign with Charles, an agent with 610 Sports and Entertainment Management. The agency, founded by president and agent Corey D. McCoy in 2005, represents former NBA guard Damon Jones among others.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textJones thanked his coaches, teammates and Syracuse fans in the statement. He also said he plans to return to Syracuse to complete his degree.The former SU guard, who played in seven games for the Orange last season, will now pursue a career in professional basketball. He said he hopes to play in the National Basketball League of Canada next season.“I look forward to playing very hard and proving to every one that I was meant to play this game,” Jones said. Comments Published on August 4, 2012 at 6:00 pm Contact Ryne: [email protected] Facebook Twitter Google+last_img read more

Sané chooses Bayern

first_imgAlthough he leaned in favor of Bayern, Smoljan revealed that Sané has more offers on the table in addition to that of the Bavarians. “Other elite European clubs have also asked us about Leroy’s situation,” he says.The Essen winger came to play on February 28 with the City sub23 showing that he is close to finishing his recovery and getting ready for the next season or the final stretch of this, still full of unknowns after the forced stoppage because of of the coronavirus. Last season was key at City although he alternated ownership with exits from the bench. Even so, He played 47 games in which he scored 16 goals and gave 18 assists. Leroy Sané begins to clarify his future. After a crusader injury ended his season and thwarted his move to Bayern Munich last summer, the German winger has already made it virtually clear through his agent that he wants to wear the red for the Bavarian team.Your agent, Damir Smoljan, went through Sport Bild to talk about the possible transfer of the Manchester City winger to Germany. “Bayern’s interest is no secret. It is the only club in Germany where Leroy sees that he can take the next step in his career.. He believes he has everything there for his great goal, to win the Champions League “, he assured the intermediary in the German newspaper.last_img read more

Tuyisenge set to miss Gor v Everton clash

first_img0Shares0000Jacques Tuyisenge attempts to win the ball against a sliding Ashley Williams during their friendly match in July 2017 in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. PHOTO/Timothy OlobuluLIVERPOOL, United Kingdom, Nov 5 – Rwandese striker Jacques Tuyisenge who scored the lone goal as Gor Mahia lost 2-1 to Everton in Tanzania last July will miss Tuesday evening’s return tie against the Merseyside club at Goodison Park after failing to land his visa on time.Tuyisenge had taken a priority visa having arrived late from international duty but up to Monday morning, he was yet to get it and hence unable to travel with the match just less than 48 hours away. “He is distressed. I would be if I was in his shoes. It is sad for us and even more sad for him. I feel for him really,” a dejected Dylan Kerr, Gor Mahia’s head coach told Capital Sport.His absence will now leave the tactician with an attacking problem to solve on a game that is side needs to be at their best scoring form. Burundian forward Francis Mustafa is expected to step forward and fill the void.“With Jack not here it hampers our plans because he is our best striker and our first line of defense,”Gor Mahia forward Francis Mustafa celebrates with Jacques Tuyisenge after scoring against Rayon Sport in a CAF Confederations Cup tie at the Kasarani Stadium on August 19, 2018. PHOTO/Timothy Olobulu“I have been frustrated for 15 months with our finishing but the excuse I can accept in Kenya is that the field is not up to standard. But here, we have been training at a good facility and we will play at a good facility. I am now not worried about finishing because as well, we have been creating chances,” the tactician said.“We played a small 25 minute game today with two teams and it was lovely the way we were doing infront of goal. Francis Mustafa looked on fire,” Kerr further stated.Gor will hope to pull in a good show against Everton especially having watched their game against Brighton over the weekend and Kerr having also previously watched their tie against Crystal Palace.The tactician has challenged his players to go into the pitch and give a good account of themselves, showcase their talent and open up doors for their future.“I have faith in them that if anyone gets the opportunity, they will go and show some good standard of football. I don’t want them to go in there and then leave with regrets after 90 minutes. That would be disappointing for me,” the tactician stated.Gor Mahia head coach Dylan Kerr places out equipment in training at Everton’s Finch Farm training ground on November 4, 2018. PHOTO/Timothy Olobulu“I want them to play with confidence, character, energy and belief and then the game will dictate itself,” the confident Kerr further stated.Tactically, the tactician says possession of the ball will win them the game, accepting that Everton are at a higher level irrespective of who coach Marco Silva will field.He however notes that with the confidence his team has picked over the last few days, they will be in to match their opponents man for man and says they will go for the win and ultimately clinch the Sportpesa Trophy.“We can’t afford to give Everton a chance on the ball because they have very good players whether it’s a different squad or not because if you play for Everton, you must be really good. If we get to dictate possession, we will cause them problems. But we have to be really organized,” he further noted.“I have noticed that sometimes we are not patient enough and it is something I have told my players. We need to be patient and not rush in attack and wait for the best moment to hurt them. We are here to enjoy but at the end of the day, there are expectations. I hope it doesn’t get the better of them,” Kerr insisted.Gor Mahia head coach Dylan Kerr gives instructions in training at Everton’s Finch Farm training ground on November 4, 2018. PHOTO/Timothy OlobuluHe has also says he will be cautious to pick the strongest team despite the fact that all players want to play, saying he wants to give the best shot and ensure they pick a historic win that will propel them to new heights.Among the players who are expected to slot into his starting team include new signing Shafik Batambuze who joined the team in Everton on Sunday evening.-Timothy Olobulu is reporting from Liverpool, United Kingdom- 0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more