Riflemen ready for the ranges again, following extensive rehab of the Timehri Range

first_imgFULLBORE captain of the Guyana National Rifle Association (GuyanaNRA) Mahendra Persaud has informed that the Caribbean’s leading marksmen are ready to return to active shooting ahead of the federation’s 150th anniversary in October this year.Active shooting would have been on hold for the past few months as a result of extensive and highly rewarding works and upgrade to the Timehri Rifle Ranges to bring it in line with international standards, ahead of what is anticipated to be a huge competition, come October.Persaud, who has captained Guyana to many a Caribbean title over the years – Guyana are the current defending Short and Long Range Caribbean Champions – has disclosed that competing on home turf for the 150th anniversary as hosts of the West Indies Fullbore Shooting Championships will be an honour.He informed that the likes of Lennox Braithwaite, Ransford Goodluck, Dylan Fields, Leo Romalho, Ryan Sampson, Terrance Stuart and others are getting ready to get back in the trigger groove as they get ready to welcome the top nations of the world including Australia, Great Britain and the Caribbean to Guyana.“We have been hard at work over the past few months adding a different touch to the ranges at Timehri in terms of upgrade which has been very successful. The works would have been carried out by the shooters themselves in conjunction with the Guyana Defence Force and we are very thankful for their continued support.”Noting that the shooters are now getting into second gear, Persaud said that the first practice shoot this Sunday will be held at the 300, 600 and 1000 yards ranges on the eastern half the ranges.“These are the banks that are almost ready for October. While the ranges are not 100% complete, the team must commence training now.The GuyanaNRA wishes to express thanks to COS Brigadier Patrick West and the high command of the GDF for their support and assistance during the reconstruction and rehabilitation of the Timehri Rifle Ranges.last_img read more

Dodgers outfielder Yasiel Puig is slimming down at the team’s request

first_imgDodgers outfielder Yasiel Puig, giving his first interview of the new year in Los Angeles on Tuesday, answered several questions in English. That’s news on its own merit. The 25-year-old from Cuba has been reluctant to go on the record in a language other than Spanish to this point in his career.Puig did not resort to a familiar cliche by declaring himself in “the best shape of his life.” Actually, he took the opposite tack, cracking a joke when asked how much he weighs.“This year, 280,” he said in English, breaking into a grin. “I’m so fat.”After a pause, Puig said he now weighs 240 pounds. That’s 15 pounds lower than his listed weight in last year’s media guide. “I’m working to slim down,” he said. “Maybe when we go into spring training, 236 or 237.”Those numbers should please the Dodgers’ president of baseball operations, Andrew Friedman, who asked Puig to “lose a few pounds” — in Puig’s words (in Spanish through an interpreter) — to keep him on the field more in 2016. Last year he was limited to 79 games because of injuries to both of his hamstrings.Puig said the injuries inhibited his performance, which were reflected in his not-so-flashy batting statistics: a .255 batting average, 11 home runs and 38 RBIs in those 79 regular-season games. In the postseason, Puig started only once in five games against the New York Mets.Dodgers manager Dave Roberts, himself a former outfielder, is on board with Puig’s weight-loss plan. Pinning a target weight on the 6-foot-2 outfielder is tricky.“It’s hard to say,” Roberts said. “He’s a large human. Everybody’s different, their bone structure and muscle mass, but for me with his structure, somewhere around 235, 240ish, something like that.” Puig batted .305 in his first two seasons with the Dodgers. He flashed a rare combination of power at the plate, speed on the bases, and range in the outfield to go with a phenomenal throwing arm. Along the way, Puig steadily gained weight. He was listed at 235 pounds prior to the 2014 season.“I don’t really see a correlation between weight and how well one plays baseball, how that affects one or the other,” Puig said through an interpreter. “However, of course I’m taking (Friedman) up on that suggestion. Everyone else is encouraging me to do the same. if that’s their suggestion to become a better player, I’m absolutely on board. I’m going to do that.”Meanwhile, Major League Baseball is still investigating Puig for his role in a fight at a Miami nightclub in November under the league’s new domestic violence policy. Two other players, Colorado Rockies shortstop Jose Reyes and New York Yankees pitcher Aroldis Chapman, are also being investigated under the policy. Commissioner Rob Manfred recently told the Associated Press that there is no timetable to resolve those cases.Puig said he’s heard as much from the league as far as a timetable — that is, nothing — though he cited his participation in a goodwill trip to Cuba in December as evidence that he doesn’t foresee any punishment from the league.The Dodgers’ pitchers and catchers are scheduled to report to spring training on Feb. 19. Puig plans to report on Feb. 15, possibly in the best shape of his life.AlsoRoberts was formally commended by the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors for becoming the first minority manager in franchise history. Roberts’ father is African-American and his mother is Japanese. … The Dodgers announced their training staff: Former Arizona Diamondbacks trainer Neil Rampe is replacing Stan Conte as the team’s head athletic trainer; Nathan Lucero and Thomas Albert were named assistant athletic trainers; and Brandon McDaniel (strength and conditioning coach), Steve Smith (physical therapist) and Yosuke Nakajima (massage therapist) will return to the major league staff. … Outfielder Andre Ethier, special advisor Tommy Lasorda and retired players Tommy Davis, Steve Garvey, Dennis Powell and Derrel Thomas are scheduled to host more than 400 law enforcement personnel and families impacted by the mass shooting in San Bernardino in a private event Wednesday at the National Orange Show Event Center.center_img Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Errorlast_img read more