Iraq : Wave of arrests of journalists covering protests in Iraqi Kurdistan Organisation News Receive email alerts Reporters Without Borders today hailed the release on 11 April of CBS cameraman Abdul Ameer Younis Hussein, who had been held by the US military for a year at Camp Bucca detention centre and Abu Ghraib prison. His release had been expected ever since an Iraqi court ruled on 5 April that there was no evidence against him. Hussein was filming a ceremony at Mosul university on 5 April 2005 when he was shot in the hip by US troops during an exchange of shots with rebels. He was arrested on the spot and accused of recruiting for the insurgency. He was the last of several detained journalists to be released.————————————————————————–05.04.2006 Charges dropped against CBS cameraman after a year in US custodyReporters Without Borders today hailed the news of the imminent release of CBS cameraman Abdul Ameer Younis Hussein after being held by the Americans for a year at Camp Bucca detention centre and Abu Ghraib prison. The only journalist still detained in Iraq, Hussein was expected to be freed within a few days after an Iraqi court in Mosul ruled today there was no evidence against him. He was returned to Abu Ghraib prison after the hearing.“We condemn the slowness of the investigation,” the press freedom organisation said. “It is unacceptable that this cameraman spent a year in detention for nothing. The US authorities should have freed him immediately.” Reporters Without Borders had warned the US military they were making a big mistake when they arrested Hussein in April 2005.Hussein said: “When they caught me and called me a terrorist, I replied that I was not a terrorist, that I was a news correspondent.” But no one listened to him.After attending the hearing in Mosul, Hussein’s brother, Mohamed Younis Hussein, said: “I am very happy. It is incredible.”Hussein was filming a ceremony at Mosul university on 5 April 2005 when he was shot in the hip by US troops during a clash with rebels. He was arrested on the spot and accused of recruiting for the rebels. A US army release said he was being held because he could represent “a serious threat to the coalition forces.” According to CBS, the US military suspected him of being linked to the insurrection because of videotape footage found in his camera.Other journalists have been held without justification by the coalition forces, including two Reuters journalists who were freed in January after being held for several months without being charged. News December 28, 2020 Find out more IraqMiddle East – North Africa RSF’s 2020 Round-up: 50 journalists killed, two-thirds in countries “at peace” Help by sharing this information Three jailed reporters charged with “undermining national security” April 20, 2006 – Updated on January 20, 2016 CBS cameraman freed after being held for a year by US military IraqMiddle East – North Africa News RSF_en to go further February 15, 2021 Find out more Follow the news on Iraq News December 16, 2020 Find out more
As I continue to hear accounts of the victims of various powerful men, I am shocked and horrified, but no, I am not surprised. For too long society has allowed our most powerful industries to hinder the ability of victims to come forward and take action against abusers. Finally, Congress is taking some action. New legislation was recently introduced focusing on “the system for filing and settling harassment claims from congressional employees,” on Capitol Hill, appropriately titled the “Me Too” Act.The process that stands now is a systematic approach to suppressing the rights of victims, yet another example of an institutional practice meant to protect abuses of power. Currently, staffers who wish to report sexual assault must go through a harrowing 90-day counseling and mediation process before they are able to file a federal complaint; during which, the staffer is required to work with their assaulter, not tells anyone, and self-pay for legal proceedings. In comparison, the legislator gets house counsel, paid for by the American taxpayer. If at any point in the process a settlement is reached – the settlement is paid for by the US Treasury Department, which since 1997 settlements has totaled $15 million. Meaning, we the American taxpayer have paid the bill. (Imagine if that money was spent on legislation protecting athletes, or earmarked towards ending sexual assault on campus, or funded sex-ed programs.)I am hopeful that change is imminent – Senate has already passed The Me Too Act and the House hopefully will soon. This Act would require sexual harassment awareness training and reform the process for staffers to file complaints.Government is supposed to protect American citizens, keep us safe, and help us when wrongs have been done. For decades, our government has not just failed sexual assault victims, but failed us all in its inability to be a model. I am inspired to see change and saddened that it took so long. Various new administrations are about to take power in governments across the US. I implore upon them to do the same analysis as Congress and for us all to: * Review our workplace policies to ensure they are comprehensive, supportive, and feasible. If they aren’t, revise them, with a plurality of voices in the room. *Call your representatives to voice your support for the Me Too Act.Finally, thank you to the Members of Congress forcing action; the 1,500 former staffers demanding change; and the brave victims who have come forward in hopes of creating change for us all. Sincerely,Rachel HodesHoboken Democratic CommitteeWard 6, District 6 Dear Editor,Recently, when asked if I was surprised at the amount of men being accused of sexual assault, I quickly answered, “not even a little.” I recalled the moment where I had to tell my boss that a donor of our organization was sending me sexually laced text messages at 4 am during a multi-day conference and remember being worried that I might lose our organization money.