Al-Arabiya reporter released on bail

first_img Follow the news on Iraq December 16, 2020 Find out more Iraq : Wave of arrests of journalists covering protests in Iraqi Kurdistan Organisation RSF’s 2020 Round-up: 50 journalists killed, two-thirds in countries “at peace” Three jailed reporters charged with “undermining national security” February 15, 2021 Find out more Receive email alerts News December 28, 2020 Find out more Newscenter_img Help by sharing this information IraqMiddle East – North Africa News News April 11, 2005 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Al-Arabiya reporter released on bail to go further IraqMiddle East – North Africa Reporters Without Borders noted the 10 April release of Al-Arabiya journalist Waël Issam two weeks after he was arrested by Iraqi authorities but called for his case to be quickly resolved so he can continue working normally.The satellite news channel reporter was picked up at Baghdad’s international airport carrying videotapes of the former rebel bastion of Falluja, 50 kms west of the capital, and held at an interior ministry, building along with common-law criminals.”Until there is evidence to the contrary, this journalist has committed no offence,” the worldwide press freedom organisation said. “Filming what is happening in a sensitive area, wherever it may be, does not amount to an offence liable to a prison sentence. If he has to go before a court, we urge the Iraqi authorities to show impartiality and demonstrate their commitment to press freedom.”Nejib Bensherif, coordinator for Al-Arabiya in Dubai (United Arab Emirates), told Reporters Without Borders by phone that Issam’s bail had been set at one million Iraqi dinars (about 558 euros).”We still do not know if there is going to be a trial,” he said. “Waël Issam has to remain in Baghdad until we get a decision from the authorities. He will either be definitively discharged or he will be tried. It is already good news that he has been freed. We are optimistic”.”We take complete responsibility for the content of the tapes and we have confidence in our correspondent in Baghdad, Jawad Kadhem, who viewed them and found nothing offensive in them,” said Bensherif.——————- 5 April 2005 – Al-Arabiya journalist held with non-political detainees for the past weekReporters Without Borders wrote to Iraqi interior minister Falah al-Nakib today asking him to do everything in his power necessary for the release of journalist Waël Issam of the Dubai-based, 24-hour satellite TV news station Al-Arabiya, who was arrested at Baghdad international airport on 28 March.Pointing out that the authorities have not given any valid reason for arresting Issam, the press freedom organization voiced astonishment that he is being held in an interior ministry centre with individuals detained for non-political crimes although “it remains to be established that Issam committed any crime.”The letter continued: “At the time of his arrest, the Iraqi police seized videotapes of footage recently shot in Iraq. Jawad Kadhem, a journalist with the Al-Arabiya bureau in Baghdad, quoted Issam as saying the footage contained nothing that could have prompted such a reaction.”We know that Al-Arabiya’s executives and Issam’s mother are in contact with the interior ministry in an attempt to obtain his release. We turn to you today because of the urgency of the situation. Issam’s detention should be terminated because it seems to us to be unwarranted in a country that wants to demonstrate its commitment to development and democracy.”Issam’s release would also help ease relations between the Iraqi authorities and foreign journalists working in Iraq, the letter added.———————–29 March 2005 – Police arrest Al-Arabiya journalistReporters Without Borders voiced concern today about the arrest of journalist Waël Issam of the Dubai-based TV news station Al-Arabiya on 27 March in Baghdad by Iraqi police, who confiscated videotapes containing newly shot footage.”We know that Al-Arabiya’s executives are in touch with the interior ministry and are doing their best to obtain the release of their journalist,” the press freedom organization said. “We hope this case will be resolved as quickly as possible and that the authorities will present valid reasons to explain their action.”Issam, who had been in Iraq for four days, was arrested when he went back to Baghdad airport. He is currently being held in a police station. Agence France-Presse quoted an interior ministry source as saying the seized videotapes included footage shot in the former rebel stronghold of Fallujah. Al-Arabiya did not confirm this.Aged 26, Issam has been working for Al-Arabiya for two years. RSF_en last_img read more

RTI Applicants Not Expected To Clog System With Barrage Of RTIs Merely Claiming They Are Aimed At Combatting Corruption: CIC

first_imgRTIRTI Applicants Not Expected To Clog System With Barrage Of RTIs Merely Claiming They Are Aimed At Combatting Corruption: CIC Sparsh Upadhyay7 Jan 2021 8:57 PMShare This – xThe Central Information Commission recently observed that as much as a CPIO has a statutory responsibility of complying with the provisions of the RTI Act, it is also expected of the RTI Applicant/s “to not undermine the spirit of the RTI Act by clogging the system with such a barrage of RTI applications, merely claiming that these are aimed at combatting corruption.” The…Your free access to Live Law has expiredTo read the article, get a premium account.Your Subscription Supports Independent JournalismSubscription starts from ₹ 599+GST (For 6 Months)View PlansPremium account gives you:Unlimited access to Live Law Archives, Weekly/Monthly Digest, Exclusive Notifications, Comments.Reading experience of Ad Free Version, Petition Copies, Judgement/Order Copies.Subscribe NowAlready a subscriber?LoginThe Central Information Commission recently observed that as much as a CPIO has a statutory responsibility of complying with the provisions of the RTI Act, it is also expected of the RTI Applicant/s “to not undermine the spirit of the RTI Act by clogging the system with such a barrage of RTI applications, merely claiming that these are aimed at combatting corruption.” The Chief Information Commissioner Y. K. Sinha was hearing the complaint of complainant who filed RTI applications (35 in number) seeking information regarding action taken on his various complaints filed before the respondent public authority. CPIO/US, PMO Response The CPIO/Under Secretary, PMO vide letter dated 04th June 2019 replied to him as under – “It has been observed that you have filed a large number of RTI Applications with this office. During the current year i.e. 2019 itself, so far 36 Application under RTI Act have been received. A list of these RTI Applications is enclosed herewith. Out of these, response to 18 applications has already been sent. It has been observed that all applications filed by you are on the issue i.e. complaint(s) filed by you in connection with ‘delayed refunds by Officers of ACIT Circle-3, Bokaro Steel City’ 3. In the light of the above decisions, we have reached to a conclusion to not to respond to your remaining 17 applications under RTI Act. You are also advised not to flood this Public Authority with RTI Applications on the same matter involving no larger public interest.” It was also stated before the Commission that the status of a grievance could be checked by a citizen on http://pgportal.gov.in/Status by using the registration number of his petition. Gist of the action taken by the authorities and the copy of the reply to the applicant is also uploaded on the portal. Further telephonic enquiries relating to the grievances may be made on Public Wing’s facilitation number on working days and during working hours. Redressal of grievance in such cases is within the purview of the appropriate authority to which the grievance is forwarded. Thus, it was submitted that the status and other details of the petitions are already accessible by the Petitioners on the online PG portal. “Sufficient information relating to processing of the petitions received in the office has also been made available on the website of this office in the form of FAQ. Thus, there was no need to seek such information by petitioners through applications under the RTI Act, 2005”, CPIO/US, PMO submitted. Complainant’s Arguments The Complainant’s representative stated before the Commission that incorrect and misleading response was provided by the CPIO in all these matters hence penal action should be initiated against him. He further stated that complaints mentioned in each RTI application were different and not on the same issues as mentioned in the replies of CPIO dated 04.06.2019. Furthermore, he argued that the decision of the CPIO not to respond to the remaining RTI applications was against the provisions of the RTI Act, 2005. He also stated that contrary to the stand of the CPIO, the issues raised are in the larger public interest as it relates to multiple issues including a bogus IT refunds scam amounting to Rs 30 Crores for the assessment years mentioned in the Complaints filed with PMO. Commission’s Observations The Commission came to the conclusion that no malafide could be attributed to the conduct of the CPIO in the instant cases. The Commission agreed with the stand taken by the CPIO and observed that instead of filing multiple RTI applications, the Complainant could have filed a single consolidated application. The Commission importantly remarked, “Even if the Commission were to reluctantly acknowledge that this is an attempt on the Complainant’s part to fight corruption, the means adopted by him stifles and defeats the very purpose of the RTI Act. In other words, however noble the purpose of this vigorous attempt to bring about probity in the functioning of the revenue authorities viz. D/o Revenue, IT department, Bokaro and Hazaribagh would have been, the fact remains that the means adopted by the Complainant by inundating the PMO with unrelated RTI cases unfortunately only points to the ignorance of the Complainant about the spirit of the RTI Act.” In the light of the above discussion and in view of the fact that the Complainant could not establish malafide/ unreasonable conduct on the part of the CPIO, the Complaints were dismissed. Click Here To Download OrderRead OrderNext Storylast_img read more

Depleted Steelers sign retired five-time Pro Bowler Harrison

first_imgFILE – In this Dec. 27, 2009, file photo, Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker James Harrison (92) rushes against the Baltimore Ravens during an NFL football game in Pittsburgh. (AP Photo/Keith Srakocic, File)PITTSBURGH (AP) – Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin called the decision to sign James Harrison “simple and easy.”Figuring out how – and just as important when – to use the five-time Pro Bowl linebacker, well, that part is a little trickier.The Steelers brought the 36-year-old Harrison out of retirement on Tuesday to give an injury depleted group some needed depth and a locker room in need of some intensity an added jolt.Harrison, who seemed to end his 12-year NFL career during an impromptu news conference Sept. 5, will provide plenty of both. How quickly he sees the field, however, remains uncertain.“We need to see what he is capable of doing before we etch out any roles for him or others,” Tomlin said Tuesday.The Steelers (2-1) reached out to Harrison after young linebackers Jarvis Jones and Ryan Shazier went down in Sunday night’s 37-19 win at Carolina. Jones underwent surgery Tuesday for a broken wrist.The team placed their first-round pick in the 2013 draft on the injured reserve/return list, meaning he’ll be eligible to come back in eight weeks. Shazier’s sprained right knee likely won’t keep him out as long, though Tomlin ruled out the rookie for this week’s game against Tampa Bay (0-3).Sean Spence will likely take over for Shazier. While Arthur Moats played well filling in for Jones – recording a sack in the second half as the Steelers pulled away – the injuries left the Steelers thin at a positon they considered a strength in the preseason.Enter Harrison, whom the Steelers released in the spring of 2013 after he declined to take a pay cut. The 2008 NFL Defensive Player of the Year eventually signed with Cincinnati, where he played in a diminished role as the Bengals won the AFC North. He finished with two sacks and an interception in 15 games before getting cut in March.He remained in training throughout the preseason but couldn’t find work and signed a one-day contract with Pittsburgh on Sept. 5 so he could retire a Steeler. Harrison cited the need to be closer to his two sons as a major factor in his decision. That shouldn’t be a problem now. The Harrisons live in a Pittsburgh suburb.Harrison will join a locker room that’s undergone an extensive makeover in the 18 months since his departure, particularly on defense. Only three starters – linebacker Lawrence Timmons, safety Troy Polamalu and defensive end Brett Keisel – remain from the 2012 season. A fourth, cornerback Ike Taylor, broke his right forearm Sunday night and is out indefinitely.Tomlin allowed it may take a bit for Harrison to get his bearings.“There is comfort in that familiarity but at the same time there are some new, integral pieces to our football team,” Tomlin said. “He has an understanding of that. It will be fun to kind of watch him work his way back into the group.”Recent history hints it might not take long. Pittsburgh declined to re-sign Keisel over the spring only to call him when the defensive line struggled early in the preseason. He was back on the field nine days later, playing in the exhibition finale against the Panthers.Harrison, like Keisel, is well past his prime. Yet the Steelers are optimistic his savvy and experience can make an impact on a defense that is still finding its way. Pittsburgh needed three games to record a turnover, though the pass rush showed signs of improvement while getting to Cam Newton three times on Sunday night.The schedule gives the Steelers some flexibility. They face the hapless Buccaneers then travel to winless Jacksonville. Two weeks might be all that’s necessary for Harrison to find his niche. It’s unlikely the Steelers would put him at the top of the depth chart based simply on his resume. If he can show flashes of the burst that helped him record 64 sacks during his 10 years in Pittsburgh, he could be a weapon in pass-rushing situations.It’s what the Bengals tried to do with him in 2013, with underwhelming results. Not that Tomlin is using 2013 as a barometer on what Harrison can do now that he’s back home.“I don’t care about what he did in Cincinnati or what their schematics are,” Tomlin said. “I’ll base my judgments based off of his capabilities based on what I see back in this setting among us.”NOTES: Rookie RB Dri Archer (ankle) practiced Monday and could play this week after missing the last two games. … The Steelers will keep Taylor on the active roster for now and give him some time to heal before deciding whether to place him on season-ending injured reserve.___AP NFL website: www.pro32.ap.org and www.twitter.com/AP_NFLlast_img read more