Tell your mother, because The Floozies are headlining Red Rocks this fall! On October 8th, The Floozies will be performing alongside Michal Menert + The Pretty Fantastics, SunSquabi and Russ Liquid for one night of musical insanity. Morrison, CO is about to get electro-funky with all four of these great actsThe Floozies are currently on tour with SunSquabi, while Menert has been opening up select shows for Lotus on recent dates. These bands are primed and ready to go, and after a full schedule of summer festivals, they’ll be itching to get out to the acclaimed Red Rocks venue. Oh yeah!Interview: How Kool & The Gang And The Floozies Are Both The Essence Of FunkPre-sale tickets can be found here, and they come with an exclusive signed poster! Don’t miss out.
Stephen Goldsmith, the Harvard Kennedy School’s Daniel Paul Professor of Government, has written an uplifting book that details the methods public officials, social entrepreneurs, and individuals can use to improve communities and inventively solve public and social problems.
Senior Jeffrey Murphy announced his resignation as president of PrismND in an email to the organization’s email list Thursday night. (Editor’s note: Murphy is a columnist for The Observer). “It is with a truly heavy heart that I announce my resignation as president of PrismND,” Murphy said in the email. “I have so cherished the years I have spent with all of you. Prism has been like a second home to me during my time at Notre Dame, and I am so grateful for all of the wonderful relationships I have built through this supremely important organization.”Murphy‘s resignation comes approximately a week after the publication of his column “The statistics on Dreamers are a nightmare.” Bryan Ricketts, vice chair for membership of the Gay and Lesbian Alumni of Notre Dame and Saint Mary’s, said the organization decided not to financially support PrismND this year unless Murphy resigned.Senior Devon Harford will serve as the new president of PrismND, according to an email from the organization’s officer board to the group’s email list. Harford previously served as co-vice president of PrismND, beginning April 1, 2018.“As you all know, Jeff Murphy has decided to resign as President of PrismND,” the officer board said in the email. “We want to thank Jeff for all the time, energy and effort that he has devoted to this organization. From his time as treasurer last year to his last five months serving as president, we appreciate all that he has brought to this team. Thank you Jeff, and we wish you all the best going forward.”Murphy commended the new president and offered his continued support for the club.“I have no doubt that Prism will flourish in the coming year,” he said in the email. “Our community could not be more blessed with the new incoming president. Under her leadership and the leadership of the remaining officer board, I know Prism is going to have one of its best years ever.”Tags: PrismND, PrismND officers, resignation
Contrary to its motto – ‘Freedom and Unity’ – the state of Vermont is one step closer to tightening its current smoking ban by prohibiting the use of tobacco and other smoking products in all workplaces throughout the state.The International Premium Cigar & Pipe Retailers Association says the freedom of all Vermont citizens – smokers and non-smokers alike – is at stake and state legislators should be spending their time on issues that truly matter – like jobs and the economy.”The United States Constitution gives the right to employers to decide how to conduct their businesses, and that includes whether or not to allow smoking on their premises. The state of Vermont preempted that right by legislating a smoking ban in 1987 and would be adding insult to injury now by tightening those decades-old restrictions,” said Chris McCalla, legislative director of the IPCPR.”Why is this important to the estimated 675,000 non-smokers and smokers who live in the state? They all should be concerned because their constitutional rights are being further tampered with and further deprivation of their rights would be in the offing,” he explained.McCalla pointed out that, in contrast to what is claimed by pro-ban and anti-smoking forces, secondhand smoke in the workplace has been declared a virtual non-issue by the very federal organization that has been assigned the responsibility for wellness in the workplace – the Occupational Safety and Health Administration.”In the first place, OSHA has established safe levels for secondhand smoke in the workplace and, secondly, those safe levels are so high that the air quality in most bars and restaurants would not come close to reaching them let alone exceeding them,” McCalla said.McCalla cited official documentation from senior officials of OSHA that states, in part, “It would be very rare to find a workplace with so much smoking that permissible exposure levels would be exceeded.”Vermont’s current smoking ban plus on-going trends in the marketplace have led to an increasing number of business owners banning the use of tobacco in their establishments.”Legislated smoking bans are simply not necessary when the market is adjusting accordingly on its own. Why bother with something that’s already working when there are so many other more important issues to deal with such as jobs and the economy?” he said.Source: The International Premium Cigar & Pipe Retailers AssociationSource: MONTPELIER, Vt., April 9 /PRNewswire/
To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters
As train and bus services open, migrant workers are travelling home from the coronavirus hot spots of Mumbai and Delhi to the hinterland where infections are starting to rise, health officials say.These included states such as Bihar, Odisha and Uttarakhand which traditionally supply the bulk of migrant workers.Still, Gupta said relative to its large population, India had done well in tackling the disease. “Our preventive measures have been very effective. We are in a much better position vis-a-vis other countries,” she said.Officials say the lockdown helped limit the spread of the virus, giving space to hospitals to deal with those affected. India’s fatality rate of 2.82% against the global average of 6.13% was among the lowest in the world, Lav Agarwal, joint secretary in the health ministry, said.”We have been able to achieve this due to timely identification of cases and proper clinical management,” he said. The death toll from the disease stood at 5,815.Six other nations, including the United States, Britain and Brazil, have higher caseloads, and in India’s favor, at least its mortality rate has been comparably low.But, India’s infections are rising as it ends a severe lockdown of its 1.3 billion people imposed in March.The lockdown has crippled the economy and left tens of thousands without work. India’s coronavirus infections crossed 200,000, official figures showed on Wednesday, and a peak could still be weeks away in the world’s second-most populous country, where the economy has begun re-opening after a lockdown imposed in March.Cases jumped by 8,909 over the previous day in one of the highest single-day spikes, taking the tally to 207,615, the health ministry said.”We are very far away for the peak,” said Dr Nivedita Gupta, of the government-run Indian Council of Medical Research. Government officials have previously said it could be later this month, or even July, before cases start to fall off. Topics :
REAL ESTATE: 12 Westhoff Rd, NorthgateThis Queenslander-style home has been beautifully renovated.Owners Juliet and Leonard Anderson bought 12 Westhoff Rd, Northgate, in 2011 as a renovation project. The home at 12 Westhoff Rd, Northgate.Mrs Anderson the home has the potential to be built in underneath.“There is definitely the potential to continue renovating,” she said.Mrs Anderson said the property would suit either a young family or a couple who enjoyed entertaining guests. Inside 12 Westhoff Rd, Northgate.“We saw its potential right away,” Mrs Anderson said. “We added bedrooms, a bathroom, a large deck and updated the kitchen.“We essentially doubled the size of the house.”Mrs Anderson said the addition of the deck gave the home new life.“All of a sudden it felt so spacious and open,” she said.“With the build of the deck, there’s always a beautiful breeze travelling through the house. “That’s one of the best things about it.” The property blends character features with modern appliances for effortless entertaining and convenience. The home at 12 Westhoff Rd, Northgate.More from newsFor under $10m you can buy a luxurious home with a two-lane bowling alley5 Apr 2017Military and railway history come together on bush block24 Apr 2019“I love the old timber floors and high ceilings,” Mrs Anderson said. “There’s a lot of the house that is so well connected.“It feels very fluid.”The property has a large living, dining and kitchen space which opens out to the rear entertaining deck through large sliding doors. On the same level, there is also a covered front veranda, entry and bathroom. The master suite has a walk-in-robe and ensuite, while the two additional bedrooms open out on to a sunroom and bathroom. Inside 12 Westhoff Rd, Northgate.“It’s close to public transport, shops, and Nudgee Beach,” she said.“This is a great little pocket of Northgate to live in.”
New York Times 4 November 2015The “sex talk” isn’t easy for parents, but new research shows that adolescents who have talked to their parents about sex are more likely to use condoms and birth control.The finding stems from a large analysis of adolescent health research, based on more than 50 studies involving 25,314 teens over the course of 30 years. The link between parental communication and safer sex practices, while modest overall, is strongest for girls and for teens who talked with their mothers, according to the research, published online Monday in JAMA Pediatrics.“The take home message is that parents do matter, and these conversations do matter,” said Laura Widman, lead author of the new paper and an assistant professor of psychology at North Carolina State University in Raleigh. She noted the link is an association, and the studies don’t prove that communication with parents promotes more responsible behavior.Parents don’t necessarily need to have a lot of sophisticated knowledge or technical information about sex. “Just having the conversation is important,” she said. “That’s the good news.”Keep up with family issues in NZ. Receive our weekly emails direct to your Inbox.Nearly half of high school students have had sexual intercourse, according to statistics from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Nearly 60 percent of high school students surveyed who have had sex said they used a condom when they last had sex, but 14 percent of sexually active teens said they did not use any birth control the last time they had intercourse, according to the C.D.C. report. While parents may worry that talking about sex suggests tacit approval, studies have found that children who are comfortable talking about sex are actually more likely to delay sexual activity and be older when they first have intercourse.“Parents fear that if they bring these issues up, they’re signaling that it’s okay to have sex, but that’s completely untrue – we know that parents who bring it up, and bring it up regularly, their kids are least likely to have sex,” said Vincent Guilamo-Ramos, a professor of social work at the Center for Latino Adolescent and Family Health at New York University’s Silver School of Social Work and author of an editorial about the research.http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/11/04/why-parents-should-have-the-sex-talk-with-their-children/?ref=health&_r=1
Press Association “We have all had criticism and we’re in it together,” the England centre-back said. “We’re a team, the manager and the staff, and we’ve got to band together and come through this difficult period, and we will do.” Olympiacos were considered the weakest side in the last 16 so United will have to greatly improve their performance over two legs if they are to make the semi-finals. The line-up for the last eight is one of the toughest in recent memory. Real Madrid, Barcelona, Atletico Madrid, Borussia Dortmund, Bayern Munich, Paris St-Germain or Chelsea lie in wait in the next round, but Jones is not bothered who United draw. “We’re just happy to be in the next round,” he added. “Whoever we get we will welcome but hopefully we can go and put in another performance and qualify for the semi-finals. “We left ourselves with a difficult task after the first leg but we came through the test with flying colours and we are excited about the next round.” The one downside to Wednesday’s result was that hat-trick hero Robin van Persie was carried off on a stretcher with a knee injury. Moyes said after the game that he hoped the injury was not serious and Jones echoed those sentiments, adding: “Hopefully he will be fit for Saturday and he can score a few more (at West Ham). “He is terrific. He pops up with important goals in big matches and he did that again (against Olympiacos).” Jones thinks the 3-2 aggregate win was just what United needed after their defeat to Liverpool last weekend and the defender hopes the team will now be able to end the league season on a high. “I think the Olympiacos game has got to be a springboard for us,” the United defender said. “It was a huge night. We have to use this as an impetus to go and prove that we can win game after game. “We let ourselves down on Sunday so it was good to get the win for us and the fans. “They have something to smile about now and hopefully we can kick on.” The win came on the back of a tough fortnight for Moyes. The United boss was at a loss to explain his team’s dismal 2-0 capitulation to Olympiacos in the first leg and the Scot then endured the pain of a humiliating 3-0 defeat to Liverpool last weekend. Moyes had to face questions regarding his future after the Liverpool defeat, but Jones insists everyone is determined to help pull the team out of their current predicament in the league. Phil Jones hopes Manchester United’s epic comeback against Olympiacos will kick-start the team’s faltering domestic campaign. United will be 15 points adrift of the top four by the time they face West Ham on Saturday evening if Arsenal and Manchester City win their games earlier in the day. But at least United will go into the match full of confidence after they defied the odds to beat Olympiacos 3-0 and progress to the quarter-finals of the Champions League.
‘It’s their democratic right to protest’ – InfantinoA GROUP of aggrieved players and administrators peacefully protested outside the Pegasus Hotel yesterday where visiting FIFA president Gianni Infantino hosted a press conference to wrap up his one-day visit to Guyana.Faizal Khan, football enthusiast and General Manager of the Georgetown Football Club (GFC), led the peaceful protest and stated that the FIFA president is being misled with regard to the way the game of football is being administered in Guyana.The GFC, along with National champions Slingerz FC, former champions Alpha United and Pele FC had refused to participate in the second installation of the Guyana Football Federation’s (GFF) STAG Elite League, citing what they’ve called an ‘illegal’ move by the sport’s local governing body to include two clubs – Victoria Kings and Topp XX – boosting the league from eight to ten teams.After months of uncertainty, CONCACAF, in a correspondence to the GFF, ruled that STAG Beer Elite League winner Slingerz FC and runners-up Alpha United were barred from participating in the CFU Club Championship because the two clubs were not in good standing with the GFF.“President (Wayne) Forde, and what some of the guys are calling him now ‘president fraud’, refused constitutional arbitration over agreements made, which investment followed from that weren’t expected,” Khan said.“Legally, Khan said, “what we’ve tried to do is respect the process … but the Federation has no respect for the constitution, hence today’s protest, which we’re glad the FIFA president saw.”.Meanwhile, when asked by Chronicle Sport about the protest, FIFA president Infantino stated, “I think that since we are living in a democratic world and football is a democratic sport, you are free to have an opinion. That’s one of the good things about football, we are always open.”According to Infantino, “We (FIFA) are in very close contact with Wayne (Forde) and the GFF and somebody might have different views on how football is run and what I could say is that they (the GFF) are making a different view today; certainly differently from the past.”“We all make mistakes, Wayne sometimes a little less than me, but we want to do both and we have football close to our hearts,” the FIFA boss said.