Preliminary Assessment Notices Mailed in Northern Region

first_imgMore than 300,000 Nova Scotia property owners will have a chance to review their proposed 2006 assessment, now that preliminary notices are in the mail. Notices were sent to owners of properties whose assessments are expected to increase by more than three per cent in 2006. The assessments are based on Jan. 1, 2004 market values. “Sending Nova Scotia property owners their proposed assessment in June, means that they can talk to us and get information about their property assessment before the formal assessment notice is sent in January,” said Terry Hartling, regional manager for the northern regional assessment office. “This year the information will also help property owners decide if they will apply for the 2006 CAP Assessment program.” Introduced in 2005, the CAP Assessment program is designed to help protect property owners from sudden and dramatic increases in market value by placing a limit, or cap, on the amount of taxable assessment increase on eligible properties. To receive a capped assessment, the property must be owned by a Nova Scotia resident and meet certain other eligibility criteria. There are some changes to the program since it was introduced last year. Property owners who applied for the CAP last year and met the residency and ownership requirements will be automatically re-considered for 2006. They do not have to reapply. Owner-occupied condominiums are now part of the CAP program. Owners of condominiums who wish to be considered for a capped assessment must submit an application for the 2006 CAP. With the changes, about 107,000 properties across the province are potentially eligible for a capped assessment in 2006, compared to 65,000 in 2005. Property owners who did not apply to the program in 2005 and whose properties are likely to be eligible are being sent an application form along with their proposed notice. Application forms are available on the website at www.nsassessment.ca or can be picked up at a local regional assessment office, Access Nova Scotia Centre, Registry of Deeds office or municipal tax office. Completed applications must be received by Assessment Services by no later than Sept. 30. “Applications will be reviewed to determine if the property meets the eligibility criteria,” said Mr. Hartling. “Property owners will be notified if their property qualifies for the CAP when they receive their formal assessment notice in January.” “We encourage property owners to call if they have any questions about their proposed assessment or need further information about the CAP Program,” added Mr. Hartling. Property owners with questions on their assessment notice can call 1-800-667-5727. For information on property assessment and the CAP program, including eligibility criteria, visit the website at www.nsassessment.ca .last_img read more

Sandwich generation feels financially squeezed by needs of children and aging parents

TORONTO — A new poll suggests more than half of Canadians aged between 45 to 64 belong to a “sandwich generation” that’s feeling financially squeezed by the needs of their children, aging parents — or both.The survey conducted for BMO Nesbitt Burns found that 55% of those recently polled in this age group say they’re currently looking after children, parents, in-laws or other relatives.About one-third of the 800 people who responded to the Pollara online poll said they are caring for a senior.Thirty-nine percent said they worry that the demands of a being a caregiver will have a negative impact on their financial goals, such as saving for retirement.“There’s a sense among those in the sandwich generation that they’re getting squeezed and are being forced to balance a plethora of financial priorities, from paying down their mortgage to saving for their child’s education to saving for retirement,” Sylvain Brisebois, regional manager at BMO Nesbitt Burns, said in a statement.“The stress that comes with caring for children and aging relatives, balancing a career and generally keeping up with daily tasks can make it hard to focus on the future and saving for retirement.”The study also found that those polled in this age group are behind with their savings plans. The average amount that those polled want to have save by retirement is $818,000; but the average amount that has actually been saved as of date is just $258,000. Only 40% say they have a financial plan in place.Pollara conducted the poll for BMO between July 29 and 31. The polling industry’s professional body, the Marketing Research and Intelligence Association, says online surveys cannot be assigned a margin of error as they are not a random sample and therefore are not necessarily representative of the whole population. read more

Land of Canaan man dies after alleged beating by group of

A 41-year-old father, this morning, succumbed to his injuries at the Georgetown Public Hospital after he was allegedly attacked and beaten by a group of young men, in Herstelling on Easter Monday afternoon. Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)RelatedUG student beaten, carjacked by armed bandits who trailed himOctober 17, 2017In “Crime”Security guard dies in Land of Canaan accidentOctober 19, 2017In “Crime”Teen, three others arraigned for murdering Berbice carpenterNovember 22, 2016In “Court” In happier times: Balwan RamsarranDead is Balwan Ramsarran, a joiner, who resides at Land of Canaan, East Bank Demerara. Upon reaching the scene, the young lady and her relatives reportedly took the man who was bleeding profusely, to the Diamond Diagnostic Center and he was subsequently transferred to the GPHC where he was said to be “brain dead.”This morning, at around 05:00hrs, the victim’s relatives were informed that he had succumbed.INews understands that Ramsarran and his wife have been separated for some time, but lived well. He moved away to Land of Canaan while his wife resides in Herstelling with the two children. However, on weekends, the now dead man would visit his children and take money for them.Investigations are continuing into the matter. (Ramona Luthi) Balwan Ramsarran at the hospitalThe deceased’s teen daughter recalled that she was at home in Herstelling when the man who allegedly hit her father with the wood shouted “me done kill he. Go see he dead!” Based on reports received, Ramsarran was imbibing at a rum shop in the Herstelling Squatting Area when he was approached by a well-known group of young men who would usually rob him whenever he was drunk.However, on the day in question, at around 17:30hrs, when the men approached him, he refused to be bullied and as such got into an argument with the group.The dead man’s sister related to INews that one of the young men from the group left his friends arguing with the victim but subsequently returned with a piece of wood.Ramsarran was reportedly dealt several lashes across his head and body and left on the road to bleed. read more