Switzerland cancels events as Europe steps up virus containment

first_imgAs the number of cases rises, European leaders are struggling to project an image of business as usual. French President Emmanuel Macron and Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte drank coffee together in a bar in Naples on Thursday, calling for European cooperation and rejecting calls for suspending the Schengen Treaty that allows for border-free travel within the European Union.Italy remains the epicenter of the outbreak in Europe. Cases in the country soared to 650 on Thursday from 400 a day earlier. The first measures to support the most affected areas may be approved by the Italian government as early as Friday, Economic Development Minister Stefano Patuanelli said. The country is considering subsidies to help pay utility bills as well as mortgage-payment suspensions.German infections rose to nearly 60, while the first two cases in the Netherlands were confirmed. The Dutch patients, who are being kept in isolation, recently visited Italy’s Lombardy region. Globally, there are over 83,000 cases, including more than 700 in Europe.A crisis task force in Germany will meet on Friday afternoon in Berlin to discuss next steps, including the possibility of canceling the ITB tourism trade fair. The organizers said on Twitter that they are coordinating with state and federal officials on how to proceed. Switzerland canceled large events and Germany quarantined about 1,000 people as Europe stepped up measures to contain the spread of the coronavirus.Public and private gatherings with more than 1,000 people won’t be allowed until March 15, the Swiss government said on Friday. The move hit the Geneva Motor Show, which was set to open to the public on March 5. The cancellation of one of Europe’s biggest auto exhibitions comes after the wireless industry earlier this month scrapped the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona and China postponed large-scale events scheduled through late March.In addition to threatening big events, the public health scare prompted authorities in the German municipality of Heinsberg, near the Dutch border, to ask people who came into contact with a married couple with the disease to stay at home, spokesman Ulrich Hollwitz said by phone on Friday. The pair had attended a Carnival event in mid-February with about 400 people, and the isolation affects them and their family and friends. EasyJet Plc said it’s planning to cancel flights as demand slows for travel, particularly to Italy. Sales of airline tickets are decelerating globally, according to Amadeus IT Group SA, the largest operator of software used by the travel industry to book and sell flights.While tourists have been particularly vulnerable to quarantines, there has been a sign of easing. Nine guests at a virus-hit hotel on the Spanish island of Tenerife have been allowed to leave, La Provincia newspaper reported. The government said Thursday that as many as 130 guests of about 700 at the hotel were awaiting authorization to depart because they had no contact with an Italian doctor and his wife who were found to have the virus.In Germany, Chancellor Angela Merkel consulted with her ministers on Friday morning, with all state organizations focused on halting or slowing the spread.Europe’s largest economy is looking at a range of measures to protect its key export sector and address the damage from a slowdown stemming from virus’s impact on business. The benchmark DAX Index lost 3.7% at 12:02 p.m. on Friday.The government’s plans would seek to improve conditions for doing business, including reducing the tax burden on companies and boosting tax relief for digital investment, Economy Minister Peter Altmaier said Thursday in Berlin, adding that Germany is in “a period of growing uncertainty” and couldn’t rule out cuts to growth forecasts.The fallout looks to be spreading, compounding a broader industrial slump. BASF SE warned of a possible second annual profit drop due to the impact of the coronavirus and an ongoing automotive slump.Germany is monitoring transport links by air, sea and land and will ask international travelers to fill in landing cards stating where else they’ve traveled, Interior Minister Horst Seehofer said Thursday.“The situation has clearly deteriorated,” he said. “The term ‘beginning of an epidemic’ means that the number of cases will increase.”Topics :last_img read more

Nick Mellen’s likely absence leaves Syracuse leaning heavily on unproven defenders

first_img Published on February 6, 2017 at 11:36 pm Contact Sam: sjfortie@syr.edu | @Sam4TR An already young Syracuse team appears like it’ll be even more inexperienced on opening night. Not only will the Orange need to replace two key, graduated defenders, but Nick Mellen, the only holdover from last season’s defensive starting line, has yet to be cleared to play.The sophomore had offseason surgery after tearing his right shoulder labrum against Duke last season and missed all of fall ball. The West Genesee (New York) High School graduate had begun running, working out and stickhandling as of Feb. 2 but had not participated in a contact practice as of Feb. 4. Despite optimism from Mellen and SU head coach John Desko throughout the preseason, the speedy-return narrative has loosened lately.“He’s been working out,” Desko said on Feb. 2, “but not good to go yet. Maybe I was a little wishful thinking before.”Losing Mellen means a hole opens for SU’s top longpole. The 5-foot-9, 178-pound defender has difficulty bodying up taller attacks, but his speed and horizontal quickness helped him finish third on the team in groundballs (38) and tied for second in caused turnovers (14).Desko re-upped on his doubt after Saturday’s scrimmage against Harvard that Mellen will be ready to go on Saturday at 4 p.m. when the No. 6 Orange begins its season against Siena. The veteran may not have provided a measurable difference this weekend anyway: Each of SU’s three wins over Siena in the last five seasons has come by at least 12 goals.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textMellen’s absence means the Orange will feature a fully fresh-faced starting defensive line of which the top two options put together have fewer appearances than Mellen did his freshman year alone. The only underclassman selected to the All-Atlantic Coast Conference preseason team could be missed more against bigger, faster opponents, like star attack Connor Fields on No. 13 Albany the following week.“He’ll be very much needed,” Desko said. “In a lot of games last year, he covered the top attackman. … He’s got an ability to cover a real quick guy, and there are plenty of those out there this year.”For now, those responsibilities fall to an unproven group including sophomore Tyson Bomberry and redshirt sophomore Marcus Cunningham. In a combined 14 career appearances and one start, the pair has three groundballs and two caused turnovers.The two are tasked with spearheading a group, until Mellen returns, to fill in the hole left by graduated seniors Jay McDermott and Brandon Mullins. The former led the team with 31 caused turnovers — more than double the second-best mark — and the latter scooped up 41 groundballs, best on the team save for FOGO Ben Williams.The Mellen-Mullins-McDermott D-line accounted for 40 percent of the team’s total caused turnovers last season and kick-started a late-season, six-game winning streak of allowing 6.5 goals per game en route to an ACC tournament championship.“I’ve seen (Mellen) working out a lot and playing wall ball,” redshirt junior midfielder Matt Lane said. “He’s pretty close to go. He’s hungry to get out there.”Cunningham served as the fourth man for last year’s defensive unit and Desko praised Bomberry’s “terrific” offseason while stressing he needed more game experience. The third spot looks like it’s up for grabs based on Desko’s comments and his lineups in scrimmages against Hofstra and Harvard. Scott Firman, a long stick midfielder transitioning to close defense, seems the likeliest candidate with redshirt freshman Andrew Helmer and true Nick DiPietro lurking.“Obviously it hurts to have Nick out,” Cunningham said, “but we’re going to hold it down until he gets back.”Mellen presumably slots back in next to Bomberry and Cunningham when he returns. The head coach complimented Mellen’s footwork in the preseason while saying he needs to improve off the ball and fix his “freshman mistakes.”It’s unclear when exactly Mellen will get that chance but when he does, as Desko said, he has the top assignment every game to look forward to.“The sooner we get him back,” Desko said, “the better off we’re going to be.” Comments Facebook Twitter Google+last_img read more