Is ISIL spreading to Europe?

first_imgGeneral Khalifa Haftar, head of the Libyan army, warned that Islamic State (ISIS) terrorists running rampant in the North African state are set to infiltrate Europe and expand their reign of terror into the West.Haftar, who represents the army of Libya’s government that has received international recognition but was driven out of Tripoli by a rival government backed by Islamist militias, demanded the West supply his army with weapons to stave off the expanse of ISIS.This as European Union leaders are looking to back UN-brokered efforts to form a national unity government in conflict-torn Libya that may include a possible mission to help provide security.EU foreign policy chief Federica Mogherini said Friday, March 20, that her services are “planning all possible ways of supporting, even on the plan of security, a future national unity government.”last_img read more

Aid Groups leave South Sudan following fresh fighting

first_imgHumanitarian organizations have started to withdrawn their staff from  Unity State in south Sudan after reports of Fierce fighting between rebel groups allied to President Salva Kiir and his former deputy Riek Machar.Reuters reports that the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) and other groups said this over the weekend expressing concerns over thousands of people who are being forced to flee their homes.A political crisis in South Sudan in late 2013 sparked fighting between forces loyal to President Salva Kiir and rebels allied with his former deputy Riek Machar.The conflict in the world’s youngest country reopened ethnic fault lines that pit Kiir’s Dinka people against Machar’s ethnic Nuer forces. A government military spokesman, Philip Aguer, confirmed the fighting in Unity State according to Reuters.Doctors without Borders said it had shut down a hospital in the town of Leer amid reports of an imminent attack.The group said it had closed the same facility last year when staff members fled on foot, carrying critically ill patients on their backs.They hid on the banks of swamps and survived by drinking swamp water, it said in a statement. “Today, we withdraw again with a heavy heart, because we know how civilians will suffer when they are cut off from critical, lifesaving medical care,” said Paul Critchley, head of the mission.The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) said separately it had also been forced to withdraw key staff from Leer and that it was concerned for the wellbeing of tens of thousands of people who have reportedly fled the area. “These communities face a fight for survival, hiding in the bush in unimaginably harsh conditions,” said Franz Rauchenstein, who heads the ICRC’s delegation in South Sudan.last_img read more

Deadly crashes erupt in Cote d’Ivoire

first_imgDeadly clashes erupted in several towns on Thursday in Cote d’IvoireOne elderly man was killed and several injured in the unrest that saw police fire teargas to disperse protesters.Several homes and cars were also reportedly set on fire. Deadly clashes erupted in several towns on Thursday in Cote d’Ivoire, in the first major outbreak of unrest ahead of next month’s presidential poll. The protests were called by opposition groups a day after the Constitutional Council announced the 10 contenders, after the incumbent Alassane announced candidature for October’s presidential poll along with nine others. Big is Beautiful in Cote D’Ivoire Related Cote d’Ivoire Prime minister praises China contributions to Africa Investigations underway following deadly Cote d’Ivoire attacklast_img read more

Zimbabwe’s opposition receive death threats

first_imgZimbabwe’s main opposition party, Movement for Democratic Change (MDC), has claimed that its legislators received death threats on Tuesday.The threats were allegedly sent to the legislators via SMS just before President Robert Mugabe read his opening of parliament speech to officially open the third session of the eighth parliament.The president went ahead to read the wrong speech in Parliament due to an apparent mix-up by his secretarial office.The death threat messages were allegedly sent by an unknown number, though they were signed off as ‘Death’.The message warned the members of parliament not to heckle the president during his address as they had done last year. It told them that the parliamentary immunity that protects them inside parliament will not apply once they step out of parliament.Weeks earlier, the opposition had heckled and booed the president during his state of the nation address.The recipients of the threats took the matter up with the Speaker of Parliament and they expressed their hope for investigations to be carried out.last_img read more

South Africa celebrates gains made in battle against HIV/AIDS

first_imgThe South African government and non-governmental organisations marked World Aids Day by celebrating the huge gains made in the battle against the virus.And continued its call for more South Africans to get tested and know their HIV status.last_img

Rosamund Lebruin re-elected as Chairperson of Loubiere/Madrelle/Fond Baron/Wallhouse/Castle Comfort Village Council

first_img Share Sharing is caring! LocalNews Rosamund Lebruin re-elected as Chairperson of Loubiere/Madrelle/Fond Baron/Wallhouse/Castle Comfort Village Council by: – August 17, 2011 141 Views   no discussions Tweetcenter_img Share Share Chairperson Rosamund Lebruin standing with Councillors Danna Delsol, Rhoda James in the front row. In the second row are Councillors; Kathleen Jno. Baptiste, Cathy Moise, Clayton Monroe, Derwin Peltier and Hypolite Thomas Jr.The Council held its ninth inaugural meeting earlier today under the patronage of His Excellency Dr. Nicholas Liverpool and several other cabinet officials.  The newly elected council members took their oath of office  and were presented with credentials at today’s inaugural meeting.Mrs. Lebruin who served as Chairperson for the past three years noted that some of the council’s achievements focused on youth and the elderly; she also highlighted a few of the projects undertaken by the council including the repair and restoration of  the Resource Centre and the  completion of  the concrete pavement of the portion of the Madrelle to Everton road which served as a temporary bypass during the rehabilitation of the Loubiere to Grand Bay road. Mrs Lebruin also emphasized that in the near future the Council will focus its efforts on the construction of this bypass which will facilitate residents of the area.According to Mrs. Lebruin, the council intends to undertake two other projects geared at improving public health and safety of its residents in this new term.She stated that “In the new term we hope to see the construction of a side walk between the two bridges in the village which will facilitate the elderly members of our community and enhance the safety of the people who walk in the area to attend church service and visit friends and neighbors. There is also need for a new public convenience which will benefit many of our community members and improve public health in the area.”In related news, Parliamentary Representative for the Roseau South Constituency Honourable Ambrose George admonished the council to take their meetings out of their office in an effort to meet with the various residents within their jurisdiction.  He emphasized that one of the ways of achieving a working relationship with all the communities within the catchment area in terms of its jurisdiction was by seeking to move Council meetings from time to time from the Council office  and  take those meetings to some of those communities.Meantime, Honourable Rayburn Blackmoore who represented the Prime Minister congratulated the councilors and expressed his highest esteem for people who serve in local government organizations and urged the villagers to not only cooperate with them, but to also encourage them.The Pointe Michel Cultural Group provided entertainment to the inaugural meeting with popular renditions like “Sans Poser” and a medley of ring games.Here are a few photographs of today’s proceedings: [nggallery id = 66]Dominica Vibes Newslast_img read more

Jurors say arrogance and compelling evidence brought down Stanford

first_imgJurors in the recent trial of convicted Texas financier Allen Stanford say his arrogance and greed as well as compelling evidence by his former chief financial officer were primarily responsible for his conviction and the forfeiture of US $330 million in assets.The eight men and four women jury on March 6 found Stanford guilty on 13 of 14 counts. Two days later, the same jury decided that Stanford must forfeit US$330 million in assets in 29 bank accounts seized by the US government.Stanford was convicted of masterminding a “massive” US$7 billion Ponzi scheme by bilking tens of thousands of investors of high-yield certificates of deposit at his Antigua-owned Stanford International Bank (SIB).“The jury returned unanimous verdicts, and we think they speak for themselves,” Jury foreman John Wojciak, an environmental engineer, told reporters.Bruce Forrest, a 47, an alternate juror and optician, said prosecutors presented “overwhelming evidence” that resulted in Stanford’s conviction.He said the testimony of James Davis, Stanford’s ex-finance chief, was the most compelling.Davis, who made a plea deal with the US government, testified against his former boss for five days during the six-week trial.Forrest also recalled testimony from Sohil Merchant, Stanford’s information technology chief, who testified to having to repeatedly fly in laptops to replace ones the tycoon had smashed against walls or dropped into water.“There’s an arrogance that goes with that,” Forrest said, adding “and to find out he used other people’s money in order to accomplish all this. Along with arrogance comes greed”.Je, however, lamented that Stanford did not take the stand on his own behalf.“He might regret that now,” Forrest said. “It’s always nice to hear from him”.But another juror, Carlos Anez, 27, an industrial engineer, said it would not have made any difference if Stanford had personally testified, given the overwhelming evidence against him.“It was a lot,” he said, disclosing that the jury had briefly deadlocked on one count, the allegation that Stanford had bribed Antiguan banking regulator Leroy King with tickets for the National Football League’s final, “The Super Bowl”.King has also been indicted in the scheme and faces extradition from his native Antigua.Anez said jurors were unsure about the rules were in Antigua. Stanford was acquitted on that count.Stanford’s lawyers had unsuccessfully asked Judge David Hitter, who presided over the case, to delay the trial, claiming that their client was suicidal and might never sufficiently recover from a 2009 jail house beating by another inmate, to face a jury.In addition, defence lawyers claimed that Stanford was addicted to prescription anti-anxiety drugs and had spent almost nine months in a US federal prison hospital in North Carolina in a detoxification program.But Hittner ruled that Stanford was legally competent to stand trial.“That will be an issue,” said Ali Fazel, one of Stanford’s lawyers. “It will be a lengthy appeal.”Antigua Observer NewsRegional Jurors say arrogance and compelling evidence brought down Stanford by: – March 13, 2012 Tweet 14 Views   no discussions Sharecenter_img Share Sharing is caring! Sharelast_img read more

Sports minister offers words of encouragement to young cricketers

first_img Tweet Sharing is caring! Share Share LocalNewsSports Sports minister offers words of encouragement to young cricketers by: – June 14, 2012center_img 23 Views   no discussions Share Minister for Culture, Youth and Sports, Justina Charles. (file photo)Minister for Culture, Youth and Sports Justina Charles has encouraged young sports men and woman to develop an attitude of respect, discipline and tolerance for each other and to safeguard their opportunities for development.Charles made these comments at the opening of the 2012 Quenchie soft drinks primary school cricket championship earlier this week.“One of the things that is very common is the use of our young boys and girls to traffic drugs and I am therefore appealing to you that you should not allow any body to use you and to take away any of the opportunities that are out there for you”.She also encouraged the students to be disciplined as this will assist them throughout life.“Another thing that is very important is discipline and what I mean is time management. If the game is to start at 10:00 are you there at 9:30 or 9:45? You should not be walking in at 10:00. When you begin to develop that sense of maintaining time it is going to be a lifelong experience because it will be important when you begin your career”.Charles also advised the students to maintain a level of tolerance which is of great importance.“As you play, and move around you may knock somebody and you need to learn to tolerate people because we have seen an increase of violence among young people. If tomorrow you become one of the West Indies players you are not going to stand on the field and fight because number one you will not get there, so your attitude now is what determines what will happen to you as a future sports man”.She said sports should be seen as a means of “promoting” peace and she hoped that after the students training and involvement in sports they would develop a sense of “respect” for themselves and for others.Dominica Vibes Newslast_img read more

Rangers to turn down permanent deal for Ojo

first_img Loading… Rangers will not be signing Liverpool loanee, Sheyi Ojo, permanently at the end of the season, Football Insider has reported. Ojo moved to the Ibrox Stadium last summer on a season-long loan, but he has recently dropped down the pecking order in Steven Gerrard’s team.Advertisement Read Also:Sheyi Ojo to Rohr: I want to play for Eagles The Anglo-Nigerian has 36 games across all competitions for Rangers this season with five goals and seven assists to his credit. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Promoted ContentWho Is The Most Powerful Woman On Earth?The Models Of Paintings Whom The Artists Were Madly In Love WithWhat Happens To Your Brain When You Play Too Much Video Games?Which Country Is The Most Romantic In The World?8 Superfoods For Growing Hair Back And Stimulating Its GrowthYou’ve Only Seen Such Colorful Hairdos In A Handful Of AnimePlaying Games For Hours Can Do This To Your BodyWho Earns More Than Ronaldo?8 Weird Facts About Coffee That Will Surprise You7 Ways To Understand Your Girlfriend BetterTop 7 Best Car Manufacturers Of All TimeBest & Worst Celebrity Endorsed Games Ever Madelast_img read more

Relieved US athletes welcome Olympic postponement

first_imgOlympic champion Katie Ledecky has struggled to find a pool to train in during the coronavirus outbreak“Straight up I’m tired of hearing I’m sorry like my puppy just died,” Lyles wrote on Twitter. “We will overcome this like everything else and then go win the Gold in 2021!”US sprint star Allyson Felix, whose six Olympic golds are the most for any female track and field athlete, said the delay won’t halt her bid for a last share of Games glory.“I am not sure what the future holds, but my goals have not changed,” she wrote in an article posted on Time.com.“I still hope to experience the feeling of standing on that podium in 2021 and I hope my journey to try to get back there will inspire you to keep moving forward.”In a later interview with NBC, Lyles said the safety of athletes was paramount.“The last thing we want is for anybody to get sick,” Lyles told NBC. “I can train for another year, but if the whole world goes through a crisis and everybody gets sick, we won’t have an Olympics at all.”Lyles had already achieved a qualifying standard to compete in Tokyo. But the 22-year-old believes many athletes would have missed out through not being able to train properly had the games gone ahead.“It would have been very hard for a lot of us to even get a qualifying time,” he said.Ledecky described an increasingly fraught hunt for facilities after her regular training pool at Stanford was closed.She went seven days without putting a toe in the water, and finally swam over the weekend in a private pool in someone’s backyard.“At certain points there were times we didn’t know if cancellation was still on the table or if there could be a postponement until the end of this year or some other time,” she told The Washington Post. “It’s good to have clarity now.– ‘Sneaking around’ –Ledecky’s US swimming teammate Nathan Adrian spoke of mixed emotions after learning of the postponement.“Disappointment, obviously, because we’d be training for four years…but then the other side of the coin is relief,” said Adrian, 31, who had been targeting a fourth Olympic Games appearance.Adrian, who underwent surgery for testicular cancer last year, is from Washington state, the initial epicenter of the COVID-19 crisis in the US.“My parents are still up there along with my brother and sister. And my parents are in the risk category. I feel guilty if I’m trying to go out and train, sneaking around trying to find a gray area that allows me to get into a pool or lift some weights,” he told NBC. Track and field star Noah Lyles – the reigning 200m world champion – had been denied regular access to a running track. Instead Lyles, who suffers from allergies and asthma, had been forced to train in a Florida park. Lyles and Ledecky’s problems had become all too common for US athletes, who found themselves torn between the need to comply with local regulations restricting non-essential movement while simultaneously sticking to training regimens designed to help them prepare for Tokyo. Lyles had no reservations about the decision to postpone the Games – and vowed to be ready for Tokyo in 2021. – ‘Safety first’ – Read Also: BREAKING: Olympics in Tokyo postponed until next yearOther athletes took a defiant stance, immediately turning their attention to a Tokyo Olympics sometime in 2021.“We train hard. We put our blood, sweat and tears into this,” said Emma Coburn, the 2017 women’s steeplechase world champion. “Our dreams are not cancelled, they are just postponed.”Rai Benjamin, the 400m hurdles silver medalist at last year’s World Championships, acknowledged disappointment in a social media post.“This was THE year. The work, the sacrifice, the determination, but I understand,” Benjamin wrote. “Everyone stay safe and Tokyo we’ll see you soon.”FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Promoted ContentThe World’s 7 Most Spectacular Railway Stations9 Facts You Should Know Before Getting A Tattoo6 Extreme Facts About HurricanesBest & Worst Celebrity Endorsed Games Ever Made11 Strange Facts About Your Favorite TV ShowsWho Earns More Than Ronaldo?The Highest Paid Football Players In The WorldWhich Country Is The Most Romantic In The World?The 10 Best Secondary Education Systems In The WorldThis Guy Photoshopped Himself Into Celeb Pics And It’s Hysterical6 Most Unforgettable Bridges In The World5 Of The World’s Most Unique Theme Parkscenter_img United States athletes welcomed the decision to postpone the Tokyo Olympics on Tuesday, exhaling a collective sigh of relief tinged with disappointment as they began to set their sights on 2021. 200m world champion Noah Lyles is already looking forward to a rescheduled Tokyo Olympics The deadly coronavirus pandemic has swept into all 50 states of America, leaving US athletes’ years of carefully choreographed Olympic training plans in tatters. Powerhouse swimmer Katie Ledecky, expected to be one of the stars of the Tokyo Games, had been left without a pool to train in as restrictions in California shut down the Stanford University facilities.Advertisement Loading… last_img read more